One way we remember our finest citizens, our
highest achievers, our greatest spirits is to
name something after them.
Who’s Who in Old Albuquerque
The first Europeans to see the
were soldiers led by Captain
Hernándo de Alvarado. They were the advance
guard for the explorer Francisco Vázquez de
Coronado. Because Alvarado is our version of
Columbus, his name is on many things, including
the city’s transportation center and an
elementary school. The Alvarado was also the
name of a fabulous, historic hotel next to the
railroad tracks; the Santa Fe Railway tore it
down in 1970.
The Candelaria family was
one of the first to settle in
Albuquerque in 1706. The
Candelaria Road, is
named for them. On the other hand, nobody seems
to know who Juan Tabo was.
According to one account, he was a shepherd who
grazed his flock in
The name may also relate to the Toboso Indians
of Texas or to Jemez Pueblo.
Another early settler was Juan
Griego, or John the Greek, who accompanied
Don Juan de Oñate’s party of colonists to
New Mexico in 1598. (The
Spanish word for “Greek” is “Griego.”) His
descendents settled in the
and the community Los Griegos was named for
them, as was Griegos
In 1712 the governor gave 70,000
acres to Captain Diego
Montoya, who then gave it to Elena
Gallegos, widow of Santiago Gurule. (In
colonial New Mexico
women often took back their maiden names when
they were widowed.) The Elena Gallegos Land
grant stretched from the river to the base of
the Sandias, where today a recreation area bears
Elfego Baca, a Socorro candidate
for sheriff who survived a one-man stand against
dozens of Texas
cowboys in 1884, became a lawyer and district
attorney. In 1907 he moved his law practice to
Albuquerque. Even as an old man, he always wore
a gun. Walt Disney Studios created “The Nine
Lives of Elfego Baca,” which showed from 1958 to
1960. And he has a street in the Atrisco
neighborhood named for him.
Dr. Elijio Osuna and his
wife came here in the 1890s from
He not only delivered many babies, he was also a
coroner. His oldest daughter, Anita Osuna y
Martínez de Carr, was the first Hispanic woman
on the UNM faculty. In
1945 Osuna Road was
named for the good physician.
in the 1870s, town boosters understood that it
fortunes forever if it could be routed our way.
Merchant Franz Huning, grocer
Elias Stover and attorney
William Hazeldine formed
a real estate firm that quietly bought up all
the land in or near the right of way and deeded
it to the railroad for one dollar and a share of
profits from sale of lots. They prospered in the
deal, but they also guaranteed the railroad
would come to Albuquerque
in a period after the railroad had bypassed
Santa Fe and Bernalillo.
Soon after, Huning began building
suburbs, the Highland Addition, east of the
tracks, which came to be called Huning Highland.
The streets south of Coal and Iron were
Hazeldine and Stover.
Edmund G. Ross in 1869 was the
senator who cast the deciding vote in Congress
against impeachment of President Andrew Johnson.
Ross resisted enormous pressure to impeach
Johnson because he believed it would cause
permanent damage to American government. But
voting his conscience was political suicide. He
Albuquerque in 1882 to escape but
soon was dabbling in politics and in 1885 was
appointed territorial governor. He signed the
legislation creating UNM. An elementary school
is named for him.
In 1889, as a member of the Territorial
Senate, attorney Bernard S. Rodey
was the driving force behind legislation to
create the University
of New Mexico
and was also instrumental in securing its land.
He was also a leader in the push for statehood
and represented New Mexico
in Congress. Rodey Theatre at UNM is named for
John Milne served as the
Superintendent of Albuquerque Public Schools
from 1911 to 1956 and is credited for
establishing a modern, professional and
progressive school system. The district’s first
football and track stadium, Milne Stadium, is
named for him. (Wilson Stadium is named for
F.M. Wilson, a long-time
educator and principal.)
Clyde Tingley came here in 1911,
accompanying his sweetheart Carrie Wooster and
her mother. Carrie had tuberculosis and they
were looking for a city with a warm, dry
climate. Tingley ran for City Commission in 1916
and thrived in local politics. He was commission
chairman (the de facto mayor) three times and
governor of New Mexico
from 1935 to 1938.
During the Depression, the flamboyant Tingley
cultivated a friendship with President Franklin
Delano Roosevelt and proved extremely
resourceful in getting Works Progress
Administration and other relief funding into the
state. In this way the first airport terminal,
the State Fairgrounds, schools, UNM’s library
and administration building, Monte Vista Fire
Park, and many other
projects were built.
Tingley Coliseum and
Tingley Drive are
named for him.
His wife, Carrie Tingley, was
known for her personal generosity and attention
to the sick, the dying and to children.
Hospital is named
Dr. William Lovelace came here
to recover from tuberculosis and started his
practice in 1916. His multi-specialty practice,
Lovelace Clinic, grew steadily until 1940, when
he had 16 doctors. In 1946 his nephew
Randy Lovelace joined, and they
organized the nonprofit Lovelace Foundation for
Medical Education and Research. The clinic built
a new facility in 1949 on the
Southeast Mesa, and
next door in 1952.
In 1975 the clinic
and hospital merged with Lovelace Medical
Foundation and evolved as Lovelace Health
Systems. In 1991 the medical center and health
plan were sold to a private health-care
provider, and the foundation spun off The
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute as a
In 1940, famous war correspondent
Ernie Pyle made
his home – in between his assignments. He died
on a Pacific island in 1945 from a sniper’s
bullet. He’s remembered with the Ernie Pyle
branch library, created at his home on Girard in
1948. And a middle school is also named for him.
Many of Albuquerque’s
major streets were named for local individuals.
originally led to
named for Irish-born James A.
Menaul, who came to
Albuquerque in 1881
when the population was 2,200.
He organized First Presbyterian
Church. In the late 1800s a Presbyterian
training school was named for him.
was named for Lt. Col. (later general)
Eugene L. Eubank who was
commander of the 19th Bombardment
Group here. He led 100 bombers on a flight
across the Pacific during World War II.
was named for Eugene Montgomery.
His family homesteaded on land near what is
now Carlisle and
1909, when there were 7,000 people in
named for Dr. Charles R. Spain,
APS school superintendent from 1957-1965.
On the West Side,
Taylor Ranch and
Taylor Ranch Road
were named for Joel and Nina Mae
Taylor. In 1939 the
Taylors, then living
on his father’s homestead in Chama, bought
800 acres of land west of the river and
lived in a two-room adobe house where the La
Luz subdivision is now, near
Montaño Place and
Coors Road. This
place became their winter haven away from
snowy Chama, and there is now a street
called Winterhaven there. In 1973, the
Taylors sold 300
acres to Bellamah Corp., which created the
Taylor Ranch subdivision.
Dale Bellamah, son of
Lebanese immigrants, built thousands of
houses east of Eubank and left the symbol of
a bell imprinted in the concrete. A park and
street are named for him. He called his wife
Princess Jeanne, and a shopping center, a
subdivision and a street have that name.
You might think Coors is named for the
family, but it’s not. It was named for
Henry G. Coors who was a
district attorney and judge in the 1940s and
A number of facilities are named for public
servants. U.S. Sen. Dennis Chavez
served from 1935 to 1962 and was instrumental in
initiating the San Juan-Chama Diversion Project
that will deliver water to the city in 2008. A
park near I-25 and Gibson bears his name as well
as an APS elementary school.
U.S. Sen. Joseph Montoya served
from 1964 to 1977. The Northeast Heights TVI
campus, the Montoya campus, is named for him.
U.S. Sen. Pete Domenici was
recently honored by having the new downtown
Federal Courthouse named for him.
State Sen. Z.B. Moon served in
the 1930s. The street is named for Moon or his
family, who were long-time residents.
Alice K. Hoppes,
the long-time president of the NAACP in
Albuquerque, was instrumental in getting Martin
Luther King Jr.’s birthday made a state holiday
and in getting a state Office of African
American Affairs.. She died in 2004 at 64. The
Alice K. Hoppes African American Pavilion at the
State Fair is named for her.
The world of sports gave us a number of names.
In the 1940s the Unser family
operated a wrecking service at Unser Garage on
7700 Central SW. The family has raced in every
Indianapolis 500 except
one since 1964 and won nine times.
The small dirt street adjacent to their
family home was named Unser.
APS schools take their names from a variety of
Many elementary schools are named for local
educators. For example, Susie Rayos
Marmon, was one of the few Indian girls of
her time to pursue an education. She was
educated at Menaul
from Bloomsburg State Teacher's College in
in 1906. For nearly 50 years she taught in a one
room building behind her home in Laguna Pueblo
and often served as an advocate for higher
education. She died in 1988 at age 110.
John Baker, a champion runner at
High School and UNM,
won so many races against heavily favored
opponents he was dubbed “Upset John.” He became
a coach at Aspen
Training for the 1972 Olympics, he collapsed one
day and learned he had terminal cancer. Baker
kept coaching and gave the Duke City Dashers, a
girls team, the last of his energy. He died in
1970 at age 26. The same week the Dashers won
the AAU national cross-country championship in
St. Louis. His life
inspired a book, “The Shining Season,” along
with two movies. He was so revered that, at the
request of his students, the school was renamed
in his honor.
Other schools are named for anthropologist
Adolph Bandelier, soldier and
trader Kit Carson, New Mexico
colonizer Juan de Oñate, and
artist Georgia O’Keeffe.
Most of UNM’s buildings honor former presidents,
faculty, and coaches: Hodgin Hall for
Charles Hodgin, the first APS
superintendent; Zimmerman Library for President
James Zimmerman, who expanded
enrollment and constructed facilities throughout
the Depression; Popejoy Hall for President
Tom Popejoy, who led the
development of UNM’s schools of medicine,
pharmacy, nursing, law and business in the 1950s
and 1960s; and Johnson Gym for Coach
who coached every
sport at UNM from 1920 to 1959.
Some names are familiar because a well known
business carries the name of a founder. For
example, Louis Galles came to
New Mexico in the 1880s
as a soldier and in 1900 bought one of the first
automobiles in the state. In 1908 he started
Galles Motor Co.,
the city’s first car dealership.
Or Mr. Powdrell’s Barbeque House, started in
1969 by Pete Powdrell and passed
to his sons.