This is a photo of the Hotel Franciscan by John Collier Jr. taken in 1943 as part of the Farm Security Administration – Office of War Information Photograph Collection at the Library of Congress.
Address: Central Avenue and Sixth Street, northwest corner, Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico
Original Client: Albuquerque Hotel Company (a community project, begun in 1920, led by the Kiwanis Club and the Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce); initially leased to a company headed by M.T. Grier, the hotel’s first manager.
Date: opened to guests on December 8, 1923; formal opening on December 15, 1923
Condition: closed in October, 1970, and demolished in May, June and July, 1972
|Historical Event:||Major Transportation Facilities|
|Sub Event:||Route 66|
|Origin:||Office of War Information Photograph Collection, Library of Congress|
|Date:||February 1, 1943|
|Author:||John Collier Jr.|
- NM-AZ State Line
- Central Avenue 1943
- Luna Lodge
- Cutoff Road to be U. S. 66
- NM Legislature, HB 28, March 19, 1925
An educational resource for New Mexico high school history programs.