In 1865, General Carlton, commander of the District of New Mexico, requested that a new fort be established in the southwest region to protect the early settlers, miners and travelers from the Apache. Fort Bayard, located in the homeland of the Apache, was established in August 1866 by Company B of the 125th U.S. Colored Infactry, under the command of Lieutenant James Kerr. He established an encampment near the mining communities of Pinos Altos and Santa Rita. In 1899 the post of Fort Bayard was transferred to the Army Medical Department. This photo was taken in 1890 and located on the Fort Bayard Historical Site.
|Historical Event:||Parks and Monuments|
|Sub Event:||Historic Site Preservation|
|Origin:||Fort Bayard Historic Site - Gallery (fortbayard.org)|
- Alvarado Hotel
- Establishment of Ft. Bayard as Historic Landmark
- A New Cavalry Drill in the United States Army - Fort Bayard, NM
- Fort Bayard - Panoramic Photograph
- Native Art on adobe wall, Taos County
- Kit Carson House, Taos, NM
- KiMo Theater Entrance 1980
- Kimo Theater 1980
- Kimo Theater 1943
- Oldest Church in the United States, Santa Fe, N.M.
- Interior of Oldest Church in United States, Santa Fe, N.M.
- Santa Fe Plaza
- Second New Mexico Governor's Mansion
- Bottomless Lakes To Be Made State Park With Federal Help
An educational resource for New Mexico high school history programs.